The Nigel K. Olsen Memorial
Flagpole at Salem Arena
My Eagle project is a memorial to Marine Lance Corporal Nigel K. Olsen, a Salem resident who was killed in action in Afghanistan on March 4th of this year.
The memorial takes the form of a much needed flagpole at Salem rodeo arena. The monument is located on the northwest corner of the arena. For directions to the arena click here
Dedication was held Saturday, November 27th
Spanish Fork Press published this article about the ceremony
Dedication has been held
For photos click the link to the left
A public album is also available on Facebook
- Flagpole is up
- Hardware is in place--first flag flew Saturday morning, 11/20
- Lighting still needs to be completed
- Still need to bend and weld the railing
- We had a local company volunteer to finish the concrete--thanks Chevy Hastings!
Time capsule was encased in the monument. It contained a sampling of magazines, Nigel's utility cover, some medallions from his unit, a Ritz crackers box, Warhammer 40K game pieces, a newspaper from 9/11/2010, notes from people in attendance at the dedication, and other items.
Thanks to everyone who was involved in this project.
Last updted 12/03/2010. Check back for updates.
- Plaque Bio for other side of the flagpole (~$70)
- Bending of the steel tube for the railing
- Concrete Finishing, thanks Chevy Hastings!
- Flagpole -- Donated by Palfreyman Homes, LLC., Thanks Derk!
- Flag, Donated by the Singles Ward. Thanks!
- Concrete, Done, discounted from Geneva Rock, thanks Mark!
- Flagpole hardware, purchased at Flags & Stuff (with a generous discount, thanks)
- 1-1/2" round steel tube, Donated by Jay Reynolds of Novatek
- Plaque Done, much thanks to Jay and Lynn
- Eagle, Globe, and Anchor emblem, Used brass insignia from dress blues cover
- M16 Replica Donated by Action Target. Thanks, Justin!
- Lighting Done by Bridger Dain, Thanks a bunch!
Schedule and Help Needed
The dedication took place November 27th.
At that cermemony a time capsule was prepared. It was sealed in the pedestal after the ceremony
Schedule of events:
- August 12. Booth at the rodeo--thanks for the donations and purchases!
- August 14. Fund raiser at Fair in the Square--thanks everyone for the support!
- August 21. Build the forms.
- August 25. Set the center post.
- August 26. The concrete pour set for this date been postponed to 9/03
- September 1. Set the forms.
- September 3. Pour the concrete.
- November 27. Dedication of the monument
- Railing will be placed sometime in early Spring
Please contact me with any comments or questions. Call me at 801-691-9358 or click on the link below to e-mail me.